A Travellerspoint blog

Roma, our final look

sunny 29 °C

Sunday 24th July 2011
Rome, a final look about.
No plans for the day as we were over more train trips, so day trips from Rome were abandoned early and substituted for "see what happens". Checked out of the hotel but left our suitcases to pick up later. Took the metro into the old city area and found ourselves at the Porto Portese markets which were a real surprise, expecting a market selling cheap clothes, watches and fake handbags but no it was a real market with some unique looking people selling some pretty unique stuff, mostly second hand and a smattering of cheap watches. There were some very antique looking furniture, old wares, old telephones, old radios, old photos, looked like some real treasures and some absolute junk, whatever your perspective. Of course it was packed, with narrow alleyways between the rows of stalls and having to constantly push past people. We did negotiate the purchase of an older but fine looking coffee percolator. Once that was done and we had walked a couple of more alleys, time to get  away and find a less crowded spot. Found a quieter little park next to a fountain where we were entertained by an old disheveled chap who was slowly filling a couple of drink bottles from the fountain and then attempting to water the patchy and weak little lawn areas. We wandered around the narrow streets, up to a church overlooking the old town area, then took a tram, a train and 2 Metros until we were back at the Borghese Gardens.
Quite busy there with lots of people hiring bikes, roller skates, tandem bikes, electric carts or segways to explore the massive garden complex that overlooks Rome.
We enjoyed our first Gelati since arriving in Italy, OK but not so much different to the ones at home, just the setting is so very spectacular.
Relaxed there for a while before wandering back to our now familiar bus stop outside Burger King and waiting for our 495 bus. Being Sun afternoon, not many people on board so it wasnt long before we were back at the apartments to get our stuff. Had a coffee and organised our stuff and soon enough it was time to go to the airport. As our suitcases were very full by now, and we had not really spent too much money on fine dining and so on, we decided to indulge in luxury sedan, from the apartment direct to the airport. Actually by the time we factored in 2 lots of Metro tickets and 2 lots of train tickets, and the lugging of suitcases all around the train stations, it was not much dearer to take the Limosine.
So smooth as you like, were efficiently delivered to the airport in plenty of time, in time to get into queues for check in, for security, for immigration (the official barely look at us or our passports before waving us through). 
Sue was especially disappointed that she has been in 6 European countries and only had her passport stamped once, and that was when we entered Netherlands.
Strolled around the duty free shops for a while, took the shuttle train out to the departure gate and settled in to wait for the 10pm flight out, which left about 25 mins late but no drama. Sat back and let the 6 hour flight to Dubai happen, although Sue tucked into her meal when it arrived with so much gusto, i had to shield mine from her wandering gaze.

Posted by Susan23611 16:31 Archived in Italy

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint